
Above is a photo of Wendell Phillips.
Wendell Phillips: Abolitionist Views
Introduction
Good afternoon.
My name is Wendell Phillips, and I stand before you as an abolitionist, an orator, and a man who believes that freedom belongs to every human being.
Who I Am
I was born into a wealthy family in Boston and educated at Harvard. I could have chosen a comfortable life practicing law and enjoying the privileges that came with my position in society.
Instead, I chose a different path.
As I watched the treatment of enslaved men, women, and children in this country, I came to a simple conclusion: slavery is morally wrong. No person has the right to own another person. Human beings are not property. They are entitled to liberty, dignity, and the opportunity to live as free citizens.
My Feelings on Slavery

This is a stock image with someone breaking chains from
between their wrists.
Many people told me that speaking against slavery was dangerous. They warned me that I would lose friends, social standing, and political opportunities.
They were correct.
But there are moments when silence becomes its own form of injustice.
I could not remain silent while millions of people were denied their freedom. Slavery was not simply a political issue to me. It was a moral evil that violated the principles of justice and humanity.
Why I Became an Abolitionist
One event that strengthened my resolve was the murder of abolitionist Elijah Lovejoy in 1837. His death showed me how fiercely supporters of slavery would defend an unjust system.
It also convinced me that people of conscience had a duty to speak even louder.
That same year, after delivering a speech in Boston condemning the violence against Lovejoy, I became one of the leading voices of the abolitionist movement.
My Mission
Throughout my life, I traveled and delivered speeches across the nation because I believed public opinion could change the course of history.

Wendell Phillips speaks to the public.
I challenged Americans to look beyond politics and economics and focus on a simple question:
Is slavery right or wrong?
To me, the answer was obvious.
America spoke of liberty while millions remained in bondage. That contradiction could not continue forever. Every day slavery existed was another day of stolen freedom, broken families, and unnecessary suffering.
Conclusion
I did not believe justice should be delayed. I argued for immediate emancipation because freedom is a right, not a privilege.
Even after slavery ended, I continued to support equal rights because true freedom means more than the absence of chains. It means equality, opportunity, and justice under the law.
So, I leave you with this thought:
Progress begins when ordinary people refuse to accept injustice as normal.
Thank you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AI Disclosure: AI was used very heavily in this assignment, as I researched with AI and had Copilot format it into a three-minute script to read in class. This was done along with the Wendell Phillips blog post, so much of the information here is expanded upon in that post.
Introduction
Good afternoon.
My name is Wendell Phillips, and I stand before you as an abolitionist, an orator, and a man who believes that freedom belongs to every human being.
Who I Am
I was born into a wealthy family in Boston and educated at Harvard. I could have chosen a comfortable life practicing law and enjoying the privileges that came with my position in society.
Instead, I chose a different path.
As I watched the treatment of enslaved men, women, and children in this country, I came to a simple conclusion: slavery is morally wrong. No person has the right to own another person. Human beings are not property. They are entitled to liberty, dignity, and the opportunity to live as free citizens.
My Feelings on Slavery
| This is a stock image with someone breaking chains from between their wrists. |
Many people told me that speaking against slavery was dangerous. They warned me that I would lose friends, social standing, and political opportunities.
They were correct.
But there are moments when silence becomes its own form of injustice.
I could not remain silent while millions of people were denied their freedom. Slavery was not simply a political issue to me. It was a moral evil that violated the principles of justice and humanity.
Why I Became an Abolitionist
One event that strengthened my resolve was the murder of abolitionist Elijah Lovejoy in 1837. His death showed me how fiercely supporters of slavery would defend an unjust system.
It also convinced me that people of conscience had a duty to speak even louder.
That same year, after delivering a speech in Boston condemning the violence against Lovejoy, I became one of the leading voices of the abolitionist movement.
My Mission
Throughout my life, I traveled and delivered speeches across the nation because I believed public opinion could change the course of history.
![]() |
| Wendell Phillips speaks to the public. |
Is slavery right or wrong?
To me, the answer was obvious.
America spoke of liberty while millions remained in bondage. That contradiction could not continue forever. Every day slavery existed was another day of stolen freedom, broken families, and unnecessary suffering.
Conclusion
I did not believe justice should be delayed. I argued for immediate emancipation because freedom is a right, not a privilege.
Even after slavery ended, I continued to support equal rights because true freedom means more than the absence of chains. It means equality, opportunity, and justice under the law.
So, I leave you with this thought:
Progress begins when ordinary people refuse to accept injustice as normal.
Thank you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AI Disclosure: AI was used very heavily in this assignment, as I researched with AI and had Copilot format it into a three-minute script to read in class. This was done along with the Wendell Phillips blog post, so much of the information here is expanded upon in that post.
No comments:
Post a Comment